Home Home Administration Administration Help Help About About


    Organization's Policies

    BYU-Idaho (PDF)

    BYU-H BYU-Hawaii

    COB & ROB Office Buildings

    PCC Polynesian Cultural Center


    Policy Number: XII.C
    Original Date: September 1, 2000
    Authorization: Approved by the President's Council

    I. General Policy
    ...A. University Motor Pool Vehicle Program
    ...B. University-Owned Vehicles for University Business
    ...C. Qualification of Drivers
    II. Motor Pool Vehicles Assigned to Departments
    ...A. Usage Fees
    ...B. Replacement of Vehicles
    ...C. Sale of Vehicles
    ...D. Additional Vehicles
    ...E. Billing Procedures for Operating Expenses
    ...F. Reports to Divisions and Departments
    III. Motor Pool Vehicles Rental Operations
    ...A. Motor Pool Office Administers Rental Program
    ...B. Motor Pool Vehicle Scheduling
    ...C. Checking Vehicles In and Out
    ...D. Motor Pool Vehicle Cancellations
    IV. Requirements for Drivers of all University Vehicles
    ...A. Licensing of Drivers
    ...B. Special licenses
    ...C. Defensive Driving Class
    ...D. Drivers of 12-15 Passenger Vans
    ...E. Reporting of Accidents
    ...F. Responsibility for Damage and Citations
    ...G. Vehicle Expenses Incurred on Trips
    ...H. Loss of Equipment

    I. - A. University Motor Pool Vehicle Program

    The University has adopted a consolidated motor pool vehicle program to insure complete utilization of University vehicles, including proper maintenance and the most advantageous trade-in capability. All University-owned vehicles are the responsibility of the Physical Plant Motor Pool. This responsibility includes but is not limited to the following:

    1. Registration, licensing
    2. Renewal of license & safety sticker
    3. Current car insurance cards in vehicles
    4. Repair/Maintenance as needed
    5. Scheduling and Administering Rental program
    6. Financing
    7. Replacement of vehicles as approved
    8. Retirement of vehicles

    I. - B. University-Owned Vehicles for University Business

    University vehicles are to be used for University-related business only. University-owned vehicles cannot be rented or borrowed for personal use.

    I. - C. Qualification of Drivers

    Anyone who drives a University-owned vehicle (whether from the rental fleet or department-assigned) must meet the requirements in section IV of this document.

    II. - A. Usage Fees

    The Motor Pool will pay the up front costs for the replacement of vehicles. The vehicle will be owned by the Motor Pool and the Business office will charge the Motor Pool Operations to cover the depreciation expense. The Motor Pool will in turn charge the department a monthly fee to cover this depreciation expense and other minor costs. Potential salvage value of the vehicle will be considered in the calculation of this depreciation and monthly fee. If it becomes evident that the life of the vehicle will be less or greater than originally anticipated, the rate will be adjusted.

    The Motor Pool will be responsible to provide funds for an approved replacement. However, in special circumstances (i.e. when replacement is requested for a vehicle that has been used only a short time) the using department may be asked to accept a revised charge rate--based on the unrecovered cost of the old vehicle plus the difference paid for the replacement.

    II. - B. Replacement of Vehicles

    If a vehicle is to be traded in or replaced by a new vehicle, clearance is to be received from the Motor Pool to insure that adequate funds are available to cover the purchase price. The Motor Pool will prepare the purchase requisition after confirming its suitability with the assigned department.

    II. - C. Sale of Vehicles

    The University Surplus Program under the direction of the Purchasing Department will be in charge of coordinating the sale of University vehicles. Motor Pool will work with Purchasing in setting fair resale costs.

    II. - D. Additional Vehicles

    Additions to the vehicle fleet will be made as follows, whether for budgeted departments or revenue producing areas:

    1. Justification for additional vehicles should be submitted in writing to the President's Council. Upon approval the Department will include the request in their annual budget with the justification for the additional vehicles. These requests will be submitted in prioritized order so that the administration and Church agencies which review budgets will have available the necessary information to either approve or disapprove the appropriation.
    2. Additional vehicle needs requested outside the budget cycle will require special attention. If acquisition is approved, capital equipment change procedures will be followed as delineated in the PURCHASING policy of this handbook.
    3. After the Additional vehicle is approved and if funds are available, the Motor Pool will initiate the requisition, confirm the suitability of the vehicle for its intended need, and obtain approval from the Vice-President for Administrative Services. Purchasing will then process the purchase through normal procedures.

    II. - E. Billing Procedures for Operating Expenses

    Divisions that are assigned vehicles will be charged for fuel, oil, service, and repair work in addition to the basic usage rate for vehicles assigned to their department or division. Billings for the basic rate plus charges for service provided by the Physical Plant Motor Pool will be made from the monthly operating reports.

    II. - F. Reports to Divisions and Departments

    Monthly reports will be submitted from the Motor Pool to divisions and departments that are currently assigned a University-owned vehicle. These reports will include the following monthly and accumulated cost information for each University vehicle. This information should be of assistance in helping managers to operate University vehicles more efficiently.

    1. Cost of gas.
    2. Cost of repairs and maintenance
    3. Basic use charges
    4. Total operating costs
    5. Funds available for renewal and replacement

    III. - A. Motor Pool Office Administers Rental Program

    The Physical Plant has been assigned to operate a motor pool for all University vehicles. As indicated above, University-owned vehicles may be assigned to a department permanently. In addition, the Motor Pool maintains a fleet of vehicles that may be rented for short periods to fill temporary needs. Rates for vehicle use may be obtained by contacting the Motor Pool. Rates are reviewed by the Administration and updated as needed.

    III. - B. Motor Pool Vehicle Scheduling
    1. Requests for rental of University Vehicles will fall into one of the following categories: (All uses within a category will be considered equal.)

      a. Category I

      (1) Academic Course-work. Class field trips, student teaching supervision, professional development travel.

      (2) Administrative Functions. Pick up and deliver supplies, paste-ups etc.; attend meetings; pick up VIPs from airport (for official University functions only).

      (3) ASBYUH Airport Shuttle. Pick up new arriving students and take departing students to the airport.

      (4) Athletic Events. Take teams and official University personnel to athletic contests.

      (5) Performances. Take BYUH performers to off-campus shows and assist with BYUH and off-campus performance groups to be held on campus.

      b. Category II

      (1) Activities Sponsored by ASBYUH. Service projects, Costco shuttle, UH Library shuttle, etc.

      (2) Continuing Education Programs such as Elder Hostel, youth programs, etc. airport shuttle, hotel shuttle, sight seeing, etc.

      (3) Courtesy Car for New Faculty. Five days of travel within first 30 on the Island for shopping, etc.

      c. Category III

      (1) Club and Ward Activities. Activities for Clubs, Wards, Family Home Evening Groups.

      (2) Other Quasi University or Church Entity Functions. Faculty Co-op town run; PCC, Zions Securities, DMBA, LCA, Temple, as approved by the President's Council.

    2. Rentals for Category I functions may be scheduled up to one year in advance of the activity, and will not be "bumped" under normal circumstances.
    3. Rentals for Category II functions may be scheduled up to one year in Category I activity.
    4. Rentals for Category III activities may be scheduled up to 30 days in advance of any activity, but may be pre-empted by a Category I or II function up to 7 days prior to the scheduled departure.
    5. Vehicles may be scheduled through the Motor Pool Office between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Applicants must adhere to this schedule. Departments are expected to be realistic in their advance requests and notify the Motor Pool as soon as possible for any cancellations.
    6. In order to confirm their advance requests, departments must submit an authorized Transportation Order within seven days of the request and before travel commences.

    III. - C. Checking Vehicles In and Out

    Those returning a vehicle from a trip at hours other than those listed above should return the vehicle to the staff parking lot directly across the street north of the Motor Pool. Keys should be deposited in the slot in the Physical Plant Office building. Anyone picking up a vehicle after normal business hours may pick up the key at the Security office. The vehicle will be parked in the parking lot north of the Physical Plant Office. Before a vehicle is picked up from the Motor Pool a signed Transportation Order must be submitted.

    III. - D. Motor Pool Vehicle Cancelations

    When departments determine they no longer need to use a vehicle previously scheduled, the department is responsible to notify the Motor Pool in a timely manner during normal business hours. If the Motor Pool receives the notification by noon of the last working day before the day of the scheduled use of the vehicle, the department will not be charged a cancellation fee. If the Motor Pool does not receive such a notice, a cancellation fee of four hours rental fee (no mileage) will be charged to the renting department. It is hoped this policy will prevent unnecessary over-scheduling and allow the available vehicles to be used by other departments.

    IV. - A. Licensing of Drivers

    To insure the safe operation of University vehicles, an employee checking one out must produce a current legal operator's license. All drivers must be appropriately licensed in compliance with University policy and the Hawaii State Operator's License Act. Employees formerly from out of state living in Hawaii must meet the following conditions:

    1. Any person from out of state may use their out-of-state license provided they are at least 18 years old and their license is valid. Those younger than 18 must obtain a Hawaii License.
    2. If an employee or student is licensed only in another country, he/she must obtain a valid Hawaii operator's license within one year of entry into the United States in order to operate a vehicle.

    IV. - B. Special Licenses

    The Hawaii State Operator's License Act requires a valid operator's license in the following situations:

    1. A Type 3 license is required of every person who is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle upon a highway. A Type 3 license covers cars, buses, and trucks up to 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.
    2. A Commercial Drivers License is required for operation of trucks over 10,000 pounds.

    IV. - C. Defensive Driving Class
    1. Anyone under the age of 25 years or who has had a U.S. drivers license for less than 5 years must take and pass the University's Defensive Driving Course. This course is taught by the Physical Plant Safety and Training Officer.
    2. Anyone involved in an accident while driving a University vehicle must take the Defensive Driving Course, even if the individual has already completed and passed the course in the past.

    IV. - D. Drivers of 12-15 Passenger Vans

    All drivers of 12 - 15 passenger vans must complete the Universitys van driving course prior to driving a van. The course is offered through the Physical Plant Safety Office.

    IV. - E. Reporting of Accidents

    Any driver of a University vehicle involved in an accident, no matter how minor, should report the incident immediately to the Physical Plant Motor Pool. If the accident occurs on campus, University Security should be notified. If the accident occurs off-campus, the Honolulu Police Department should be notified. If the accident occurs after working hours, the University Security Office should be advised and asked to contact the Motor Pool Supervisor.

    IV. - F. Responsibility for Damage and Citations

    The cost of all collision damage (regardless of fault) up to $250 for each accident is to be borne by the division or department using the vehicle at the time of the accident. All damage in excess of $250 will be covered by the University fleet insurance policy.

    University funds will not be used to pay for or reimburse payments for parking tickets, speeding, or other citations which are the fault of the driver. Such fees must be paid by the driver of the vehicle.

    IV. - G. Vehicle Expenses Incurred on Trips

    Receipts for any repair work required while on a trip must be obtained and turned in to the Motor Pool dispatcher at the completion of the trip.

    IV. - H. Loss of Equipment

    The costs of the loss of equipment through negligence will be the responsibility of the driver and not the University.

    COB & ROB Office Buildings Motor Pool Policies

    Motor Pool Purpose
    Rental of Vehicles
    Billing for Motor Pool Use
    Location of Vehicles
    Use of Vehicles
    Restrictions on Use
    Reporting Vehicle Damage
    Repairs and Parts Replacements
    Traffic Citations or Summons
    Vehicle Availability

    Motor Pool Purpose

    To provide vehicles for the exclusive use of approved Church employees or designees carrying out Church business in accomplishing the mission of the Church.

    Rental of Vehicles
    1. The Motor Pool Office is located on the third lower level of the Church Office Building, ext. 2-3195
    2. An employee who needs to use a Church vehicle for Church business should make a reservation for a vehicle on the reservation site located on the Church intranet under Employee Self-Service, Motor Pool Reservations (COB).

    Billing for Motor Pool Use
    1. No department or outside entity will be billed for Motor Pool use for trips lasting less than one month with the exception of Farm Management.

    2. Farm Management will be billed for every Motor Pool use with no gas card provided at the following rates:

      Sedans/Minivans - $.32 per mile or a daily rate of $32.00 when vehicle is taken overnight, not to exceed $320.00 per month.

      Large Vans/SUV/Trucks - $.45 per mile or a daily rate of $45.00 when vehicle is taken overnight, not to exceed $450.00 per month.

    3. Departments or outside entities using a Motor Pool vehicle for trips longer than a 150 miles radius from the COB which includes an overnight stay will need to add their fuel expenses to their travel expense report in order to be reimbursed.

    4. All departments and outside entities will be billed for Motor Pool use lasting one month or longer at the following rates with no gas card.

      Sedan and Minivans - $32.00 per day not to exceed $320.00 per month. Full Size Vans, SUVs, and Trucks - $45.00 per day not to exceed $450.00 per month.

    Location of Vehicles

    Motor Pool vehicles are parked on the third lower level of the Church Office Building in designated parking stalls.

    Use of Vehicles
    1. Through the kiosk, vehicles may be checked out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays. The Motor Pool Office is open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. All rental requests must be made during these hours. Requests made after these hours will be filled the next business day.
    2. Only the assigned driver may may check out through the kiosk. The driver must know their LDS Account username and password.
    3. The Motor Pool Office should be contacted if the pick-up time for a reserved vehicle cannot be met. If contact with the Motor Pool Office is not made and the driver is more than two hours past their reserved pick-up time the reservation will be canceled.
    4. Seat belts must be worn by all individuals and at all times.
    5. When buying fuel locally, use the VISA card enclosed in the key packet at any major station. This card is authorized for fuel purchases only. Receipts must be turned in at the Motor Pool Office. Overnight use and trips exceeding a 150 mile radius from the Church Office Building will require the driver to purchase gas using their own Church assigned credit card or their own funds and seek reimbursement through the travel office. Vehicles with less than 3/4 of a tank of gas must be filled before return.
    6. All maintenance is performed under direction of the Vehicle Service Center. Repairs or collisions must be reported to the motor pool office immediately by the user of the vehicle.
    7. The user of the vehicle is responsible to return the vehicle full of gas and clean inside and out. All personal or department items must be removed.
    8. If the vehicle cannot be returned as scheduled, the driver must notify the Motor Pool Office before the originally scheduled return time at 801-240-3195.
    9. Cars must be returned to the Motor Pool Designated Area and the stall number must be noted on the Motor Pool Return Form. Keys, credit cards, receipts, and usage forms with ending mileage and vehicle condition are to be returned to the Motor Pool Office through the kiosk.
    10. If, for some reason you cannot access the kiosk, after normal working hours, record the ending mileage and vehicle location and place the keys and usage form in the night drop slot on the Motor Pool door.

      Restrictions on Use
      1. Vehicles are to be used for Church business only and should be driven only by approved Church employees. Contract workers, Interns and Church Service Missionaries may drive Motor Pool vehicles on Church business.
      2. Vehicles are not to be used for personal use (i.e. doctor visits, hospital visits, funerals, lunch, personal appointments, etc).
      3. Sedans and crossovers are for passengers only. Light materials and equipment such as luggage, brief cases, and art work, can be carried in these vehicles. Heavy materials and equipment normally hauled in a pick-up truck or van are not to be hauled in a sedan.
      4. Vehiclesshould notbe taken homeand must not beused for commuting.
      5. Vehicles should not be parked at the airport.
      6. Drivers must have a current and valid driver's license.
      7. Drivers may not use any handheld devices, such as cell phones, PDAs, laptops, etc. Where allowed by law, cell phones may be used with hands-free equipment.

      Reporting Vehicle Damage
      1. In the event a Motor Pool vehicle is involved in a collision, the driver should follow the instructions found on the packet, "What to Do If You Have an Accident". This packet is found in the glove box of each vehicle.
      2. In case of a break-down or collision after normal business hours, the driver of the vehicle should call Church Headquarters at (801) 240-1000 and ask for the Service Center Supervisor.
      3. A Church Vehicle Damage or Accident Report Form (#32199), located in the glove box, should be submitted to the Motor Pool supervisor within 24 hours after the damage occurs.

      Repairs and Parts Replacements
      Emergency mechanical repairs or parts replacements must first be approved through the Service Center (801) 240-3564, or the Church Operator after hours. The operator will contact the Service Center Supervisor.

      Traffic Citations or Summons
      1. Traffic citations or summons received for moving or parking violations are the responsibility of the assigned driver.
      2. Citations for mechanical, registration, or inspection problems are the responsibility of the Motor Pool Office.

      Vehicle Availability

      Vehicles are issued on a first come, first serve basis. Occasionally there may not be sufficient vehicles to satisfy all requests. Departments and employees should anticipate their needs in advance and make early reservations. Sharing a vehicle is strongly encouraged for employees traveling to the same destination.

      A vehicle reservation does not insure the availability of a vehicle as circumstances may arise which will necessitate the cancellation of your scheduled vehicle.


      This section is under construction

      Policy Number:
      Original Date:

      Privacy Statement  •  Feedback
      Copyright © 2011 Agile Access Control, Inc. All rights reserved.